The Chesed Committee of BRJC is committed to doing good deeds for the people within our Jewish community, the greater Bay Ridge community and beyond. Our philosophy is that, along with the religious and cultural experiences that BRJC offers, our members and others should always feel that we care about their well-being. The Chesed Committee accomplishes these goals through the following programs and activities:
- BRJCares is our caring initiative that focuses on being there for our congregants who are experiencing life cycle events. These events might include acute/chronic illness, hospital/rehab stay, surgery, loss of a loved one, wedding, bar/bat mitzvah, conversion , birth, baby naming bris or name change. This initiative acknowledges these events when the “caregivers” on the committee take one or more of the following actions: a phone call, card, visit, assistance, food, plant, gift or donation. All information is kept strictly confidential unless otherwise requested.
- BRJCvisits is a program where Hebrew School children and members visit with senior homebound congregants.
- Holiday Meals program delivers kosher meals or fruit baskets to our senior and/or homebound congregants for Rosh Hashanah and Purim. This is an intergenerational activity, as our Hebrew School and their families visit with congregants when they bring the meals.
- Holiday Food Drives in collaboration with City Harvest collect donations of kosher holiday foods from our Jewish community. These donations are provided to less fortunate Jewish families during Rosh Hashanah and Passover.
- Winter Clothing Drive “Giving Warmth” collects NEW winter hats, scarves, gloves and socks from our BRJC congregations to give to a homeless shelter in Brooklyn.
- Outreach to the greater Bay Ridge community and other communities far and wide. We collected and presented $1600 to a conservative Jewish Community Center in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria to help them rebuild and assist their congregation. We went to an assisted living facility in Coney Island to present senior citizens with painted and planted pots that were created with the senior citizens.
- Purim Donation Drives solicit contributions from our BRJC member to help support our Purim holiday meal delivery.
- Workshops, such as a Bikur Cholim workshop, are sponsored and hosted.
We welcome new volunteers to join the Chesed Committee which meets once a month in the synagogue. We hope you will consider making a donation to the Chesed Committee to support our good deeds. Please let us know how we can be there for you!
We look forward to working with you as we join together to care for our BRJC community!